Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Ongejection

One of the big stories coming from the Georgetown game yesterday had to be the elbow from Kristof and his subsequent ejection. At the time I thought it was a terrible call. The commentators and my allegiances convinced me that he was just doing a "swim move." However, after a day to calm down, digest, and review the tape, I'm not so sure. I'm still not really happy with the call, but K-Ong isn't as innocent as we'd like to believe.

First let's look at the tape, courtesy of The Orange Segment.

Kristof Ongenaet's elbow and ejection vs. Georgetown







If you look at Kristof and Summers battling at the 6 second mark, you can clearly see K.O. get an elbow to the side of the head. (It happens just as Jonny passes to Andy.) Was it intentional? Hard to say, but taking a hit like that has got to suck. This led to Kristof's emotions getting the best of him, unfortunately, and I think he delivered a little payback to the back of some Hoya skull.

Summers then did his best Italian soccer player impression: collapsing to the ground and crying until a foul was called. Sure it hurt, but I've seen players play through much worse (see G-Mac's 2006 Big East Tourney). Suck it up.

It's unfortunate that the player doing the retaliating is typically the one caught in situations like this. If the refs thought it was worth an ejection, then both players should have been thrown out. Personally I think it should have been a T on each player and let them both continue play.

Like Brent Axe said in his blog, I hope this isn't the dawn of a new era of "throw out anyone who elbows another player." Thabeet's play was pretty dirty against us, and I think we had a right to complain afterwards, but I'd rather see physical play than players scared to compete.

It also worries me that this happened just as we were witnessing the Belgian Rennaissance. Kristof was back in top form the past two games, and I really hope Ongenaet continues his physical play because that's what he's best at. We'll have to wait and see a week from today if it changes his game at all.

2 comments:

Matt Glaude said...

This is like the Zapruder film.

Alex O said...

haha, I was thinking the same thing as I was writing this.