Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Don'te miss him


There was an interesting poll on syracuse.com the other day, asking what the basketball team would be like this year if Donte' Greene had stayed. At least I thought there was. I can't find it now. Did anyone else see that, or am I just imagining things? Regardless, it's an interesting question, and I think the team is definitely better off.

Now I am not a Donte'-hater. I think the response from some angry Syracuse fans when he left was completely uncalled for. He made the decision that was best for himself. It just so happens that it was also best for SU.

It all comes down to one word: defense. Syracuse, coming into the Rutgers game, was the third best team in the country at three-point defense. The zone has been active and stifling in nearly every game so far. You cannot tell me that the same would be true with Donte' on the team. Orange fans' biggest gripe about him was consistently his lack of defense.

We have enough offensive weapons to compensate for him. In fact, the team has extraordinary balance with six players capable of scoring in double figures on any given night. The return of Devendorf and Rautins keeps three-point threats on the floor, and the emergance of Rick Jackson keeps a big body down low. Every facet of Greene's game has been covered, and in many cases, improved upon, by the current roster.

I am giddy with excitement about this team. They are so much fun to watch. I'm attending the Georgetown game tomorrow, and I hope to witness an annihilation. I'll bring you a recap and perhaps some video of the madness later this week.

Go Orange.

No comments: